Eastern Europe Update: Invasion of Ukraine
On February 24, 2022, Russia launched its current invasion into Ukrainian territory, creating an immediate need for obtaining and transporting humanitarian aid and medical supplies, in addition to rescuing and caring for refugees. MIWC Eastern Europe shifted its ministry focus to meeting these needs.
As the attacks continue, team members remain committed to these goals in addition to using their musical abilities to bring hope, peace, joy, and the truth of God’s salvation to their country. Please continue to visit this page for up-to-date prayer requests and information.
Updated November 18, 2022
- Safety! Continue to pray for safety for the MIWC local team. They will be traveling this weekend to the recently liberated area of Kherson, bringing bread (lots of bread!!) and food boxes to meet the critical needs in this war-torn area. They will be accompanied by a military convoy when they reach the region due to the presence of land mines and other traps left by the retreating Russian army. This is an extremely dangerous trip, but one they feel led to take as there is, and has been, such suffering there.
- Pray, Give & Share the Story! MIWC is stretched and asking for continued donations to meet needs. This will help the team make the most of opportunities to share Jesus while they provide practical aid. Pray for provision for the aid work and ministry (9 months into this war!). Continue to GIve as you can. Share the need with friends and family; carrying the burden together will make the difference! The senseless nature of this war and its consequences are being felt by all of us, but the greatest suffering is being felt by the Ukrainian people. Thank you for supporting them!
- Van Needed! This is a large and very important request. The ministry has had such an amazing impact with the vans that God has provided, allowing them to deliver aid throughout the entire country. They are in great need of one more vehicle. Please pray and, if you are able, donate for this essential need!
- God's Glory! Continue to pray for changed hearts: sharing God's Word; singing truth; meeting practical, medical, & emotional needs; in addition to including Bibles and resources for adults and kids in aid boxes are all making a difference.
- Resolution! Pray for an end to the invasion and a return of Ukrainian territory. Pray for this to happen quickly!
- Praise! The recent Ministry-Creativity-Mission Conference (November 11-12 Worship & Ministry During War) was a time filled with practical training, encouragement, and learning. The 120 participants wrestled with the tension between the modern concept of "praise & worship" and the reality of human brokenness and suffering. Leaning into Biblical truth, where lament and the steps that walk us through grief, dependency, and unanswered questions (i.e. the true journey and reality of worship!), was unsettling at times but also practical and transformative. Thank you for praying and giving!
- Warmth! This cannot be overstated! Recent attacks on Ukraine's power grid mean that millions of people are without electricity, water, or heat. Pray for God's mercy and provision to be evident in the coming months. The winter weather is brutally cold in this part of the world.
- Refuge & Strength! Emotional upheaval, exhaustion, and grief are constant challenges. The MIWC team need consistent spiritual encouragement and strength. Pray that they can remain steadfast, serving God with all their heart, soul, mind, and strength. Pray that they would rely on Him for every need. Discouragement is a real battle.
- Comfort! Pray for families who are separated; this is an extra layer of sadness and stress during an already traumatic time. Pray for protection & provision.
- Wisdom! Pray for the leaders as they meet needs. Pray that they will know where and when to go, and how to allocate the resources that they have. Winter is fast approaching, and the needs are multiplying faster than they can be met so the team needs clear direction from God as to where to serve.
As the crisis persists, it is easy to stop asking for God to intervene, but we are thankful for all the signs that people are still praying and giving! God is at work! We are grateful for you because you allow MIWC in Ukraine to be a light for Christ and to minister to so many. Destruction, grief, and anxiety are everywhere, but so are opportunities to bless and tell people about Jesus. Thank you for giving and for praying. Слава Богу!
WHERE WE ARE
- Ukraine is the hub for MIWC ministries in Eastern Europe. From Kyiv, our ministries reach throughout Ukraine into Moldova, Belarus, the Russian Federation, and into Central Asia and Caucasia.
- At 42 million people, Ukraine is the largest European country. It is politically stable, but war-torn and still struggles with dependence on Russia. Much of the country identifies as Orthodox and widespread distrust of Evangelical believers exist.
- Local MIWC Ukraine leaders have been busy preparing the next generation of leaders, sending them into Georgia and Tajikistan.
WHAT WE DO
MIWC’s first long-term field project began in Ukraine in 1997. Its original goals were practical, due to poor economic conditions post-Soviet rule. They included improving Christian musicians’ skills, teaching business practices, creating opportunities for church outreach, and preparing the next generation of music and worship leadership for church health and growth.
Currently, MIWC Ukraine is very active continuing to educate future leaders. Annual summer youth music camps are now led exclusively by Ukrainians and camp locations are continually being added.
The ministry is strongly engaged in supporting military troops, churches, and families in the war-torn areas of the country, while also increasing ministry activity in the Chernobyl region, Kyiv’s inner city, and in Georgia and Belarus via music missionaries.